Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Ike is here!!!! Well.... sort of...

Good morning folk. For those of you who don't know, I live in Miami and we( well not me ) are currently glued to the television set about 20 of the 24 hours in the day because of the Monster hurricane Ike( ironic named after a certain ass-kicking villain/icon) currently tearing through the Carribean. It looks like it'll be a near miss for us down here in South Fla, but nevertheless, we'll be experiencing heavy tropical storm winds and rain. I guess I should feel blessed that the storm isn't going to have a worse effect on our area, but I can't help but comment on the following... While muttering to myself "be careful what you ask for," the riling up that the media give these native South Floridians down here is nothing short of comical concerning these forces of nature. Don't get me wrong, no one is more respectful of Mother Nature than me, and maybe it's the cynical new yawker in me, but this has to be worse than the worse case of blueballs that any girl has ever given me. The news stations down here go on an absolute tear, instilling fear and terror amongst the people down here, causing an absolute frenzy in an attempt to prepare for the "Big One"( in my best Fred Sanford voice "Elizabeth!"). What is the end result? Publix, Winn Dixie, Bj's, Cosco, Sam's, Home Depot, and Loews get PAID!!! I mean, you can't even go in the store and get yourself basic necessities because the rest of the free world done hoarded up all the water, and the batteries, and the Hog Moss.... I mean... I like water.... Now with all of this being said, I wasn't down here in 1992 for Hurricane Andrew, which decimated the area that I currently live in. I was here however for the first wave of Katrina which came right through my neighborhood and went back into the Gulf of Mexico before infamously and tragically ravaging New Orleans. Humbling couldn't begin to describe the experience, and I hope that it's something that we in any of our lifetimes never have to experience again. But I do believe in EARLY preparation and not last minute. If people have been through this before, why do they act like everytime is the first time? Be ready dammit! How many flashlights do you REALLY need? Don't you already have like 20 cases of water in your garage? Do you really need 10 more? F' it... I dunno. I think I'm finished ranting. And( I know you're not supposed to start a sentence with "and" but I'm exercising my "poetic license") that being said, even though they say we should stay in and not go to work today, I'm like "Bump that" and going in my people.... I hope my engineer Gee is reading this, cuz we goin' in today homie(pause)! I wish they'd bring back Elita Loresca ... this new girl's voice is wack( no offense shorty). Oh, "KRUNKS RULE!"

1 comment:

Jayne Neverow said...

(In my best Ike voice ala Mr. Fishburn)- "YOU tryna help IKE?!"